Pressible Launch at the Gottesman Libraries
I’m very excited about our upcoming community launch event for Pressible. After four months of supporting the beta version, and six months of development, we are committing to a stable feature-set. We’re going to call this version of Pressible our “1.0” (and adjust some of our past descriptions accordingly).
We haven’t finished building Pressible – there are many more aspects of this publishing network that we’ve imagined – but we do want to begin a serious effort of learning from users’ experiences. That’s what we’ll be up to this summer. Stay tuned!
From the library news item here:
Pressible is a free, online publishing service supported by EdLab at Teachers College, Columbia University. On Tuesday, June 1st, library staff will host an all-day event at the library to introduce patrons to this new service.
With Pressible, you can create personal or multi-author sites. Sites can be used for a range of purposes, including personal blogging, group blogging, and other kinds of outreach. Pressible organizes content automatically, so you can focus on your ideas.
Every site is part of the Pressible network – a constellation of sites with a focus on education. Pressible helps you circulate and repost content from within the network, increasing your site traffic. And as the network grows, so does your site’s web presence.
How do you start? All you need is a Teachers College or Columbia University email address. Go to pressible.org, enter a domain name and title, and click “Create Site.” In-person support is available at the Gottesman Libraries.
June 1st Activities:
- 10am: Doors open. Library staff will help you join Pressible, or help you better understand the options available. Second floor publishing exhibitions showcase current academic publishing by the TC community.
- 12-1:30pm: Seminar Lunch. Gus Andrews will present on using Pressible to publish a teaching case study on her media literacy project, The Media Show.
- 2-4pm: Discussions at the Publishing Bar. Topics: How to Use Pressible (2pm), Putting Your Ideas Online (2:30pm), Publishing from a Publisher’s Perspective (3pm), Producing and Publishing Video (3:30pm)
- 4-6pm: Learn more! Pressible early adopters tell their stories; Q&A with the Pressible Development Team
- Live music throughout the day!
Where: Second Floor Collaboration Space / Publishing Bar
When: 10am – 6pm